May 11, 2011

Cardinals in First Place in May

If you had told me the St. Louis Cardinals would lose Adam Wainwright for the season and that Chris Carpenter would have just one win on May 11th I would have thought the team would be well back of the National League Central leader. But, surprisingly, even with Albert Pujols slumping, the Cardinals are a game ahead of the Cincinnati Reds.

Lance Berkman and Matt Holliday are hitting well and three young pitchers have stepped their game up to the next level. Kyle McClellan has five wins, and Jaime Garcia and Kyle Lohse both have four wins.

I really don't think the Cardinals have the horses to win the division and the wild card team will not come from the Central. I believe in the end the Reds have more depth than the Birds. But, then again last year I said St. Louis would win the division by ten games. So, what do I know?

No comments: