June 02, 2011

Six Row Delivers a Unique Beer

I like beer. I like bacon. But until tonight I had never thought of them as being paired.

Six Row Brewing Company in midtown St. Louis combined the two and came up with a unique brew. It was called several names but the one I like is Piggy Porter. The beer was on cask. The brewers took a cask and used the already good Six Row Porter as a base. Then for the last few days they put in a half pound of very lean smoked bacon into the cask. The result was a drinkable beer.

I wasn't sure what to expect. The smokey smell was immediately noticeable. But, when the beer hit my tongue it was subtle. The beer was the same Porter that is already served year round at Six Row, but it wasn't overwhelming. My expectations had been that the beer might punch me in the mouth with the bacon flavor.

My only criticism of it was that it was slightly salty. (Go figure. Bacon has a lot of salt in it). And the beer was a little too cold to be called Cask beer. In fairness to Six Row and it's brewers, they had to keep it cold until earlier in the afternoon to keep it safe.

Bottom line is this beer went fast and I look forward to the next time the folks at Six Row do this again.

No comments: