June 15, 2014

Rant from A Baseball Traditionalist

I have been watching Major League Baseball for going on 55 years now.  I have been treated to some of the greatest games and greatest players you can imagine.  I have been fortunate to be a Saint Louis Cardinal fan and have seen them play in nine World Series in my lifetime and to be lucky enough to see the Cards win five World Series.

But, on the other hand MLB continues to tinker with a game that is already the best sport out there.  So here goes my latest old man rant:

1.   Get rid of the Designated Hitter.  It serves no purpose except giving old out of shape players a chance to extend their careers.  Instead, it takes away from the strategy of the game and artificially raises batting averages and ERAs.

2.   Get rid of inter-league play.  I could care less about seeing the Kansas City Royals play in St. Louis and then have to see the Cardinals play in Kansas City each year.  I would much rather see the Cards play three more games against the Dodgers or Giants or Mets than the Kansas City Royals or Tampa Rays.  Yuck.

3.   Restore the All-Star game to what it really is; an exhibition game between the best of each league in mid-season.  To say the winner gets home field advantage in the World Series is ridiculous.  Home field should go to the team with the best overall record for the season.  But, unfortunately the mental midgets in suits at MLB have come up with the All Star Game win in response to the demands of Fox TV.

Thanks for reading my latest rant.  I promise you there are more coming.

No comments: