October 22, 2019

Thoughts on the 2019 World Series

Image courtesy MLB
I believe it was Casey Stengel who asked "if this is so important why do we play it every year?"  He was referring to the World Series and he makes a valid point.

Major League Baseball (MLB) is holding its annual best of seven series to determine the best baseball team in the "world".  This 115th series is being contested by the Houston Astros and Washington Nationals.  I will be cheering for the 'Stros, and predict they will win it four games to two, but to be honest really don't care who wins.

In fact, I don't plan on watching much of it on TV.  MLB games are way too long to begin with and with the added commercials in a World Series, they will become more unbearable.  Last year's average game in the "Fall Classic" lasted 3:33.  If the series goes seven games and I doubt it will take over 24 hours to watch all of the games from start to finish.  At my age I don't have a day to waste watching a bunch of overpaid undisciplined hitters swing from the heels and play "Home Run Derby".  It seems as if many of the at bats come down to three results; a walk, strikeout or home run.

I will follow the games on my phone with "The Score" app.  That way I can do what I want to do rather than be held hostage by MLB and Fox TV.

No comments: