January 06, 2021

A Dark Day in the United States

It has been quite a day in the United States, as the capitol building came under attack from a mob of protestors, who entered the building as congress was set to finalize the election of Joe Biden as the country's next president.

I am confused by the actions of these few who seem to have been encouraged by lame duck president Donald Trump.  I think what bothers me most is that a US citizen died at the hands of a law enforcement officer who shot her.  I was a junior in high school when the Kent State shootings took place in May 1970.  The outrage at the time divided this country much as today's actions have split this nation.  To be fair it is too early to form an opinion on today's shooting.  But, why were Capitol Police shooting at protestors?  Why weren't alternatives such as tasers or bean bags used instead of handguns.  I also would like to know why the National Guard wasn't on call when the possibility of trouble was known well ahead of time.

I will write of this more as details become available.  But, for now I have to say I am embarrassed by the "journalism" I have seen on the commercial networks today.  From talking head reporters to network announcers, including Savannah Guthrie and Lester Holt of NBC, the reporters have for the most part editorialized whenever they've felt like it.  This is not journalism.  This is reporters taking liberty with their reporting to reflect their personal opinions or insert themselves in the story.  As an example, the crowd was initially called "protestors".  But, as the day wore on the talking heads changed their description of the protestors to "rioters" or a mob.  This was due to pack journalism.  Rather than be left behind, all of the networks I watched, decided to change that designation to rioters.  I have no doubt there were a number of people at the capitol today who wanted to damage the building and raise hell in the halls of congress.  But, my guess is many more were just out to express their frustration with the system.

There were a number of things that happened today that need to be explained properly by the media.  I look forward to learning more and will write as that info becomes available.


No comments: