February 11, 2006

Bias at the S*O*C*P

A writer for the St. Louis-Post Dispatch has taken it up on himself to attack the city of Columbia and the state of Missouri as racist. Writing in a blog from the Olympics in Italy, Vahe Gregorian, wrote..."is Columbia, Missouri ready for a black coach"? This bias made it past Gregorian's editors and onto the blog. I have my doubts that the blog is edited and that Gregorian, who is the son of an Ivy League school president, is probably of the mind he can write whatever he wants in what is supposed to be about his experiences in Turin.
I believe the writing is unacceptable and posted the following with the paper in response to Gregorian's attack.
"Vahe, what do you mean when you write "is Columbia, MO ready for a black coach"? I certainly hope this insult and screw-up by your editors does not mean you believe that Columbia is racist. Does it?

If in fact you and your Maryland peers in the Sports department have this attitude it would explain your publication's shoddy treatment of Missouri athletics. Since you appear to be using a bias from having lived a privileged East Coast background I would suggest you live in the community before attacking it. I hope I am wrong but if you are saying Columbia is biased, it is probably time for you to move on to another job".