January 13, 2009

A Tasty APA

Over the weekend I got to visit Mattingly Brewing in south St. Louis. The establishment is brewing it's own beer now and has come up with a winner in it's APA. The micro brewery has created a beer called "Hoptimal Munition APA" and I enjoyed it. It is reddish brown in color and has the characteristic hop and evergreen smell when you smell the aroma. The hops and malt do not disappoint as they come across the palate. And the beer finishes nicely. I would recommend it to anyone who likes the APA style.

Mattingly's is on South Jefferson and is, how shall I put it, "cozy". The night I was there several young couples had turned their children loose on the bar and it was very loud. But, that won't stop me from returning. The beer was that good. In fact, Mattingly's is having it's grand opening this coming weekend.

According to the barmaid Mattingly's is now brewing four styles and it will expand in the near future. In the meantime it is serving several Boulevard, Schlafly and Odell Brewing beers to supplement it's own offerings.

No comments: