April 07, 2009

Cardinals Bullpen Blows the Opener...And So Do Their Owners

The St. Louis Cardinals bullpen has been a concern all winter to me and everyone to whom I spoke.

The Cardinals opened at home yesterday and lost to the
Pittsburgh Pirates 6-4. Let's put it this way...the bullpen has issues...MAJOR issues. New closer Jason Motte, gave up a two out three run double to Jack Wilson that put the Pirates ahead to stay. The Cardinals front office had all winter to address the issue and didn't. I am a life long Cardinal fan and an optimist, but given the shortages in the pen and at third and second base, I am afraid it will be a long season. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this team doing very much. And the Cardinals front office is directly to blame for the problems.

What makes it more annoying is St. Louis is arguably the best baseball town in America. The fans in this medium size market continue to turn out every year and surpass the three million mark in attendance every year. But, what to they get in return? Very little except a cheap group of owners who line their pockets and put little back into the team.

Yesterday the owners of the
White Sox and Red Sox postponed their games because of cold and wet conditions. But, not the Cardinals. The owners made 45 thousand fans sit in 30+ degree weather with snow flurries swirling around the stadium.

No comments: