November 27, 2011

Some Tasty Beers

This weekend was a good one for sampling new beers in the St. Louis area. Schlafly has just released it's Imperial Stout. The brewery has created a potent beer that checks in at 10.5% ABV. I sampled it last night at the Tap Room. It is one of my favorite styles of the year. In addition to being a filling beverage for a cold night, it has been aged over whiskey barrels. It pours black and has the viscosity of motor oil. Be careful at 10.5 it will kick your butt. I had several water backs when I drank it with dinner.

Charleville Brewing of Southeast Missouri has also come out with it's version of an Imperial beer aged over Whiskey barrels. It's called "Charleville Whiskey Scented Santa Ale". I tried it at the suggestion of my server when I asked for a Bourbon barrel aged beer. I am glad she recommended it. It has a very dark head to it and is in the Christmas style with dark toffee, fruit and vanilla. It too is a big big beer. I sampled it at iHop in Soulard.

On the downside, I learned this week Anchor Brewing is no longer distributing in St. Louis, at least on the Missouri side of the River. This means my favorite Christmas Ale of all, Anchor Christmas Ale will not be available this Holiday season. That is a bummer. But, perhaps, it will give me a chance to expand my horizons.

No comments: