February 27, 2012

In Praise of Cask Beer




So here it is the end of February and I'm wondering what happened to the New Year. We're eight weeks into it and it seems as if we were just watching Bowl Games. Don't get me wrong, the older I get the less I like Winter. And if we are one day closer to Spring than that makes me happy.

You know what else makes me happy; good beer. I had the chance last weekend to go to a Cask Beer Festival in New Haven, Mo. It was hosted by 2nd Shift Brewing. Its brewer Steve Crider was joined by brewers from seven other St. Louis area micro-breweries. Each brought a keg of cask ale. For the uninitiated cask beer is hand pumped and served at cellar temperature. To me it becomes more flavorful and takes on a slightly different personality than when it's cold.

Joining the festival were Charleville Brewing in St. Genevieve, Exit 6 Brewery in St. Charles County and Urban Chestnut, Schlafly, Four Hands, Perennial Artisan Ales, and The Civil Life from St. Louis. Each of the brewers are experienced and know exactly what they are doing. So, it was a joy to sample all of the casks and meet some interesting people who share a love for craft beer. If I had to pick a favorite (and this is really tough because they were all good) I would pick Crider's hoppy offering named "Brew Cocky" and the two casks brought by Charleville; German Chocolate Cake Stout and a Dozen Roses. Right there with them is Urban Chestnut's Old Tjiko. It tasted like a Christmas Tree in a glass. If I were to try all of these again, I am sure I would have a different favorite. so please, don't get me wrong the rest of the breweries participating had very good beer too.

Bottom line is this was one fun time and very relaxed with no need to worry about driving home after the festival because the ticket included a room for the night and a BBQ for dinner and hearty breakfast the next morning. 2nd Shift when you do this again later this year I will be there. You knocked it out of the park!

No comments: