June 29, 2020

Are You Kidding Me?

Image from the Mooresville Tribune
This is a bit late but I have to express my feelings on the "agreement" reached between Major League Baseball owners and  players.  The season will begin in roughly three and a half weeks and unless both sides wake up and get their heads out of their butts I don't think I will be watching much professional baseball.  MLB can promote this half baked idea as baseball but it doesn't mean we have to watch it or spend our money on their crap.


I am a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals so this is how I see things I would be forced to watch.

First off, MLB could screw up a one car funeral.  Playing two thirds of the game against division rivals makes good sense.  But, playing one third of all games against the American League is a dumb idea.  And speaking of dumb ideas, how does using a designated hitter make the game safer?  If anything it exposes more players to risk by adding a player to each lineup.  The National League has continued to play the game as it was intended.  For 44 years since the DH was implemented by the American League the NL has not fallen to this gimmick that removes strategy from the game .  My guess is most National League fans don't like and don't want to have to watch it.  And the joke of it all is putting a runner on second base at the start of each extra inning.  It cheapens the game and it makes a mockery of runs scored statistics and ERAs.

And since there will be no fans allowed to attend the games they will all be shown on TV.  Watching baseball on television is boring.  I don't plan on spending too much time watching batters stepping out of the box after each pitch or pitchers wandering around the back of the mound whenever the mood strikes them.

I miss seeing baseball a lot, but I'm not sure I will watch much of this bastardization of the game.

No comments: