January 19, 2007

Diese Sind Gute Biere!

No, I haven't moved to Germany. But, it's a variation on an expression I heard as a kid from my elders. It translates roughly into "These are good beers".

In the past few weeks I have tasted three very good beers from various microbreweries around the nation. In chronological order from when I tasted them are a Winter ESB at the Schlafly Tap Room, Pale Ale from the Sierra Nevada brewery and a Dopplebock from Alandale Brewing.

The Winter ESB (Extra Special Bitter) is a seasonal served at both Schlafly locations. It is powerful with a strong hoppy flavor and just a taste of Rye. It is seven percent alcohol by volume so be careful! I learned the hard way after enjoying it more than I should have. You can taste this brew in downtown St. Louis and in suburban Maplewood.

The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is malty with a taste of Orange. As it slides across your mouth it finishes with a taste of hoppiness. This Pale Ale is brewed in Chico, California but distributed nationwide in bottles.

The last beer, and certainly not the least is the Dopplebock. It too has a high degree of maltiness and a high degree of alcohol. (Are you noticing a trend here)? I had been told Alandale's Indian Pale Ale was the best of the brewpubs offerings. But, I found the Dopplebock to be a pleasant surprise and a better brew in my opinion than the IPA. Alandale is located in the Saint Louis suburb of Kirkwood.

No comments: