December 22, 2007

Christmas Beer

As regular readers know, I like my beer. I also like the beers produced at this time of year. Most micro-breweries make a Pumpkin Ale in the fall. These are fine beers. But the best seasonals of the year in my opinion are Christmas Ales. They are usually higher in alcohol volume than other products and are usually dry hopped with the bittering Chinook hop and then finished with Christmas type seasonings such as Orange peel or carmel or molasses. They all have a fairly high IBU. (A brewing industry measure of bitterness).

I have tasted Schlafly's Christmas Ale and Boulevard's Nutcracker Ale. They are both fine beers. I think the Boulevard offering is a little better and a better value as it is priced less expensively than Schlafly's Christmas Ale.

I have also located and will soon sample the Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, and have also found a six pack of Breckenridge's Christmas Ale. I will let you know what I think as soon as I sample them. And if you know me that will be very soon!

No comments: