January 13, 2008

Sunday's Musings

-The strike by The Writer's Guild in Hollywood has caused tonight's Golden Globe awards to be cancelled. But, on the other hand it has let me view some things I might not have otherwise seen. Because the few TV shows I watch are all reruns I have started watching some other shows. Until the strike I had never seen three offerings I now am trying to watch when I can . The first is "Madmen" by AMC on various nights. On Monday nights I am now watching the WB's "Aliens in America". And on Tuesday night's Fox has a program called "House" that I have started watching. Were it not for the strike I wouldn't have seen any of them.

-I had the chance to sample an IPA from Mendocino Brewing in California last night. It's White Hawk Original IPA is good and hoppy. It's not the best I've had but it's very drinkable. However, if you're not a hop head you may have a problem with it.

-What is it with TV ads for hamburgers? Have you seen the inane spot that Burger King is running for it's "Whopper"? It shows a clip of videos in which actors are told they can't buy a whopper and then the actors act crazy when they are told it's not available. Come on BK don't insult our intelligence. We've already been insulted by the Sonic ads with the two gay dudes talking about how good the food is and by the dummies who write the Hardee's/Carl's Jr. ads. Maybe there's a statement on the job application at these ad agencies that says we won't hire you unless you're an idiot.

-Speaking of ads, Anheuser-Busch has taken to running radio spots saying all they do is brew lagers (Yeeccch). Then they take a swipe at Pale Ales, Stouts, Porters and Wheat beers. (I guess the average AB consumer prefers water flavored beer to real beer). But I find it interesting that AB uses it's distribution system to transport many of the micro brews it is saying aren't that good. Do you think the management at AB is a little two faced?

No comments: