October 26, 2008

Where are the Cops?

I mentioned earlier I went up to Columbia yesterday for the Mizzou football game. One thing that hasn't changed even with people more aware of fuel prices and energy consumption is the blatant dis-respect for the speed limit on Interstate highways.

I set my cruise on 70 both ways and with the exception of a few tractor trailers I was passed by everyone. And the worst offenders seem to be the owners of BMWs, Mercedes and Cadillac SUVS, Hummers and other gas hogs.

Why am I and others who drive the speed limit or drive smaller cars or hybrids trying to conserve energy while these hogs do as they please? I think it's time for the state to get serious about fining those people who speed along in these monster vehicles. Maybe if the state used a multiplier on speeding tickets like it does using horsepower for license renewal it might slow some people down. And, I don't mean an $80 or $100 ticket. I mean $250-$300 speeding tickets. And while the law is being changed let's double the points on everyone for speeding. That would send a message. It's time to get serious.

But, it won't happen because many of the lawyers who write the laws own the gas guzzlers and won't want to deal with it.

No comments: