November 06, 2008

Thoughts on the Election

I had a hard time deciding whom to vote for in Tuesday's Presidential election. Well, on the way to the polls I decided to vote for Obama. But, then while I was in line I waffled and decided to vote for McCain. But, then when I got to the electronic machine I hit the button for Obama. And when the finalize vote button came up I pushed the vote button and my ballot was cast for the Democrat. For that matter I voted for Democrats in all but one statewide race. That was a first for me. I also voted against every single proposition and amendment on the ballot. I am tired of special interests writing their own legislation and then selling it as a benefit to the general public. I also am tired of ever increasing sales taxes. They are regressive and I will blog on this when time permits.

-I live in Missouri which has been a bellwether state for the last 100 years. But, if the recount holds up, McCain will win by the smallest of margins and break a 52 year streak of Missourians picking the winner. My guess is the vote margin will stand up and probably grow.

-In Senate races in Minnesota and Alaska I have to laugh. In Minnesota a carpet-bagger comedian appears to have lost his race to incumbent senator Norm Coleman. Former Saturday Nite Live comic Al Franken was only 500 votes behind Coleman with three million votes having been counted. If Coleman survives a recount, he would have the...excuse me...uh...last laugh.

-And in Alaska an 84 year old man who was convicted by a federal grand jury ten days ago appears to have won re-election to the Senate. But, again that race is so close there will be a mandated recount of the ballots. Republican Ted Stevens is ahead at this point but absentee ballots are not yet fully counted. He appears to have beaten Democrat Mark Begich. Which makes you wonder what the heck were people in Alaska thinking? If Stevens isn't the poster boy for term limits then no one is. But, could this be a blessing in disguise for Sarah Palin if Stevens wins and then is kicked out by a Democratically controlled congress? Palin would appear to be the heir apparent for the seat if Stevens gets the boot.

No comments: