December 21, 2008

Christmas/Winter Ales

It's no secret. I love Christmas. I love the season and all of the festivities that go with it. One of the things I have found over the past few years is that Christmas time also brings out a lot of seasonal beers in the so called Christmas/Winter Ale style. I made a trip to my favorite liquor store yesterday and found a host of offerings I plan to sample over the next few days.

I started with two of them last night. The first was Anchor's Christmas Ale. It was one of the first Christmas style beers I ever tasted and it is just as good this year as the first time I sampled it. It is almost a Mahogany in color and has an aroma of malt, citrus and spice. The taste is almost that of molasses with a hint of citrus. It finishes strongly with a bitter hop taste.

The second was New Belgium's 2 Below. It is orangish in color. It has an aroma of toasted bread, citrus and even a little chocolate. The taste is that toasted white bread and a wild flower hoppiness. It also is quite good. But, if I had to choose between the two I drank last night, I would go with the Anchor Christmas Ale.

No comments: