December 23, 2008

Three More Seasonal Brews

My journey to Christmas continues with three more beers I tasted last night and this evening. I tried the Boulevard Nutcracker Ale last night and it was as good as last year's batch if not a little better. It has a dark red/ mahoggany color to it. It has that winter ale smell of toast. And the taste is malty but it doesnt end with a big rush of hops like others I've tasted in this category. Being a hop head it's not exactly what I wanted but it is still a nice effort by the folks over in Kansas City.

About an hour ago I sampled Shipyard's Prelude Ale (I think it's supposed to mean the prelude before Christmas). It is an English style Ale, rich and nutty. But, like many of my favorites it finishes strong with a hoppy finale.

As I write this I am drinking the best of this style I have tasted yet this year. (It may be unfair to compare this to others because it is more an IPA than a Winter Ale, but...). It is
Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. And it is good. It has a copper color and has an aroma of citrus and pine. While similar to an IPA it also has a nice malty flavor when it first hits your tongue. It is awesome.

No comments: