October 02, 2021

A Terrible Day in Columbia, Mo.

I will keep this short.  I have been a Missouri Tiger fan for seven decades.  I saw my first game at Memorial Stadium in 1969 and have been hooked on Mizzou football since.

Today I returned to what is now Faurot Field at Memorial Stadium for the first time since prior to the Covid-19 pandemic.  I was excited when I walked into the stadium but that feeling didn't last long.  Missouri went three and out on its first possession and Tennessee responded by punching Missouri in the mouth and scoring in less than two minutes.  And the Volunteers continued to score on each of their seven possessions in the first half.  At halftime the score was 45-10 Tennessee and it got worse in the second half as the Vols ran it up on the Tigers.  The final was 62-24 and it could have been worse.

I am not happy with the way Missouri's 2021 season is progressing.  They are now 2-3 and will be lucky to win more than four games this year.  Coach Eliah Drinkwitz is in his second year and the honeymoon is over.  He hired a new defensive coordinator in Steve Wilks this past off season.  Wilks changed the Tigers defensive scheme to a 3-3-5 today, but without success.  As a fan who pays for the privilege to buy tickets, tickets and parking, I am not happy.  Wilks will be lucky to make it to the end of the season.  Drinkwitz is a good coach and will get more time, but he had better turn this around soon.

No comments: