June 18, 2005

Local? TV News

I had to laugh this morning. I usually don't watch TV on Saturday mornings, but I had to work this afternooon and I turned on the local CBS affiliate KMOV. I thought maybe I would see something from overnight that had happened in this metropolitan area.

Instead, I saw one local story in the 50 minutes I was watching. One freakin story in almost an hour that pertained to the St. Louis area. The Saint Louis metro area has a population of 2.6 million people and they could find only one story to report.

Oh and the story was about the sale of the
Saint Louis Blues hockey team and who might buy them. And guess what? To top it off the story was reported in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Friday morning. So, in effect KMOV read Friday's paper and then put it on as news a day later. I guess absolutely nothing else happened in the whole region. Sheeeeesh!

So now you are probably wondering how did they fill all of this time? Well they had a cute weather girl on about five times to tell us it was going to be a nice day. And they repeated their Blues story about five times. And they had Sports and they reported the Blues were going to be sold. And, they showed pictures of Interstate Highways 20 miles from downtown that were wide open and had no traffic problems. Oh, and I almost forgot they ran national news stories from places such as Florida and California and Europe, but not St. Louis. Yep, channel four was right on top of the whole metropolitan area. I would have learned more had I turned on an infomercial on any of the other St. Louis stations at that time. Yep good old channel four really had an award winning nine o'clock newscast!

No comments: