August 25, 2007

I'm Home...and why AmerenUE Sucks

Well, I have completed round one of life on the road. I was a road warrior this past week and it was productive working out of town 1500 miles away. I will tell you about some of the things I saw and the behavior of humans when I get a little more time. But, for now I need to vent at the electric company we are stuck with in the St. Louis region.

It's name is AmerenUE and they just can't get their act together. I got home from the airport last night and the power was out. Again! And as I write this it's been 20 hours and still no lights. I have just started figuring out what I have to throw away in the freezer and refrigerator. And then go to the store and replace, when the lights do come back on. What do you think would happen if I deducted this cost from their bill? I do. They would charge me a late fee and keep adding it on to future bills. Then they would eventually cut off the service. (Gee, that's where I am now. No electric service)!

What is with the apparent idiots who are managing this company? Why don't they do scheduled maintenance on their power grid? I am blogging wirelessly at this point at a local coffee shop and I am pissed. Ameren keeps asking for rate hikes and to this point the state of Missouri has told them no except for very minor ones. Ameren keeps making promises and excuses for itself. Everyone who uses their power has the same fear. That they will come up and the power is either off or has been off. This is the third time in six weeks I have been without power and Ameren is either unwilling or unable to solve the issue. It's quite frustrating!