March 18, 2006

A Great Day for the Irish!

I've been chillin out most of today, but what a great day for the Irish yesterday. I walked in the Hibernian's parade yesterday for the first time ever. My friends P&B had asked me several years ago to walk the parade route with them, but I had always bailed. But, this year being in shape for the first time in years and walking daily I thought it was something I would like to do.

And boy was it fun! The parade according to the rag St. Louis newspaper was attended by in excess of 100,000 people. I had the chance to give beads to little kids. (Not really throwing them, I had the chance to hand them to the little ones rather than arbitrarily firing them into the crowd of adult drunks). Some of it was kind of ugly such as the 25 year old blond bimbo screaming for beads, who yelled F*** You when they went to a two year old instead and she didn't get them. But, screw her. She must have been drinking since about ten in the morning and already had about a dozen sets of beads wrapped around her neck. If only I could have put my hands around her neck when she yelled out F-You.

Still, all things considered it was a great parade. I saw some friends in the crowd and had the chance to toss them beads too. I want to thank P & B for the invite to walk in the parade. They are awesome friends and the day was also a wonderful one. And the Ancient Order of Hibernians did a great job of setting up the parade and keeping it orderly and moving.

Finally, here's a joke for you. Do you know what the difference is between Saint Patrick's Day and the MLK holiday is?

A: Everyone wants to be Irish on Saint Patrick's Day!