July 24, 2006

The Lights Are Back On

After four days the power company finally showed up and turned the electricity to my home back on when a crew from Fort Wayne, Indiana reset a transformer. As soon as the crew replaced a fuse and hit the reset switch the hum of air conditioners could be heard filling the air on a warm Sunday summer evening. And it was kind of weird because the lights came on almost four days to the time they went out on Wednesday night. Both nights it was about eight o'clock.

As far as surviving, I don't think I have been more uncomfortable as when I went to bed on Thursday night. But I was fortunate because by Friday night the air temperature had cooled off into the mid 60s and I slept like a baby both Friday and Saturday nights.

I know civilization made it for thousands of years without air conditioning, but now living without it is quite an ordeal. Still, I was lucky. My power did come back on and I was able to go to the store this afternoon and restock most of the food and frozen items I threw out because they were no longer frozen or cold. The survivors of Hurricane Katrina never had that option. As I say I am very fortunate.