July 20, 2006

The St. Louis Area Gets Whacked

I very powerful series of Thunderstorms came blasting through St. Louis last night, leaving almost a half million homes without power. In addition the storms blew down many trees and blocked a large number of streets. The good news is apparently no one was killed and very few people hurt very badly. It's almost a miracle when you consider wind gusts were measure in excess of 80 miles per hour.

Personally, I am without power and the local power monopoly (Ameren) says it could be several days before the lights and air conditioning come back on because there are so many suffering from the outages. Still, my home is intact without damage and I can cut and rake up the downed branches that strew my front and back yards. I am not the only one like this though. My siblings are all without power as are the next generation in our family as well. But, eventually the lights will come back on and life will return to normal. I guess things aren't all that bad after all. If you want to read a pretty good wrapup of what happened try this link.