March 18, 2007

Borat

I watched Borat this morning and maybe my expectations were too high. The film was funny in some parts, stupid in others and inconsistent overall. Yes, I laughed out loud at some of the lines and some of the things I watched, but other parts were boring and predictable.

Sacha Baron Cohen did an outstanding job of playing Borat. Cohen is from London but you would have thought he was from Khazakstan to listen to him.

The plot roughly follows a Kazakh journalist on a path across the United States to learn about American culture. Along the way he gets booted out of numerous businesses, makes enemies and angers numerous people with his politically incorrect behavior.

I thought the funniest scenes in the film were those shot in his "hometown". Showing his sister the whore, his friend the town machinist and abortionist and making funny references to his neighbor and his "retard" brother.

I laughed outloud several times. I am rating the film 7 on a scale of one to ten.


No comments: